Update on Canada Day and 2020 Summer Events
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Belleville Chamber of Commerce will not be holding the events as scheduled for Canada Day, July 1, or Waterfront & Multicultural Festival, July 9-12.
In place of our traditional events that we hope will return in 2021, we are coordinating with a variety of community partners to provide some form of community engagement. We believe this is still possible with proper planning to ensure any of these activities are compliant with the current safety protocol as of May 2020.
We do hope to bring back what we’ve come to expect from Canada Day and Waterfront events in 2021, but for now it’s important that we all stay safe. We hope that these alternatives provide our community with something to look forward to and lighten their spirits in these tough times.
Below are some of the ideas we are trying to build into these COVID-conscious event alternatives.
Canada Day Family Car Parade
There have been many “parades” acknowledging healthcare workers already in the City, this is just a larger version designed to also celebrate Canada’s birthday.
- A procession through town of cars/trucks all dressed up to celebrate National Pride
- The route will take us by hospitals and nursing/retirement homes to pay tribute to our healthcare “angels” and the elderly who built this country and have taken the brunt of the virus
- There will be no bands or groups of people walking/dancing
- No viewing areas
- There will be a registration process as we will have a vehicle limit, however, participation will be free
Lions Concerts By The Bay… coming to a living room near you!
- Musical acts booked for the 2020 June/July/August concerts will be filmed and broadcast on Wednesday and Sunday evenings from 6-8 pm, the typical concert timeslot, which we hope to begin around mid-July once filming is complete
- Cogeco (YourTV) is partnering with the Chamber and The Lions Club to make this happen
- Concerts will air to Cogeco cable subscribers on Channel 4 and will also show LIVE on our Chamber YouTube Channel, and hopefully the Lions website for those who may not have access to cable
Curbside Culture – A Passport Food Adventure Around the World
This event is based on the current restaurant take-out operations (curbside pickup) and encourages our residents to support many of our local restaurants, food trucks and community groups while trying food from different cultures.
- A blast from the past as we recreate the Belleville Folklorama Food Passport event from the 1980s (when the event originally started)
- Passports may be free/virtual but connect the participant to potential prizes following the event
- People use their passport to “travel” around the City to purchase take-out food from our very own restaurants featuring food from a variety of cultures around the world; they can pick and choose which locations they wish to get food from
- Gathering restrictions will be identified through the provincial government and enforced through municipal bylaw officers
- The event takes place on the Fri/Sat/Sun of what would have been the Waterfront Festival weekend (July 10-12), exact times to be determined
Thank you to all of our sponsors for their support in 2019!